Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 28
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 1 – New York Stallion Stakes
1. #2 Captain Bombastic (3-5) – Not much competition here in a small five horse field for this colt who drops from a decent effort in a Grade I
2. #5 Dream Bigger (7-5) – Only other that is likely to compete with Captain Bombastic, his best chance here is to be aggressive from the start and try to take them gate to wire
3. #4 Slash Gordon (10-1) – This first time gelding has a bit more upside than Chowda who appears to need control of the pace that he likely will not get
Race 8 – Alw 72000n1x
1. #6 Wild Medagliad’oro (3-1) – Can either take control of the race early or sit mid pack, but this colt should be in the mix off of a surface change
2. #4 Blindwillie McTell (2-1) – Seven furlongs may be this gelding’s ideal distance, and being more involved early on a softer surface could bode well
3. #2 Irish Front (8-5) – Famished has good back-class and should be played, but this colt should be sitting off of the leaders with a good chance to pass in the stretch
Race 9 – Grade III Lake George Stakes
1. #1 Sweet Melania (8-5) – Assuming this race stays on, a softer turf surface probably isn’t ideal for this filly, but she is still a cut above the others here
2. #2 Micheline (9-2) – Rosario should get this filly by Bernardini to move late, with some of her better closing efforts coming on good surfaces
3. #3 Witez (8-1) – Can’t fully discount the Klaravich and Brown entry, but this filly has some versatility plus has fared well at this distance
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s Pimlico card here.
In Spa selections, our on-site correspondent provides his Saratoga picks for key races on today’s Saratoga card!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.