Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 16
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #6 La Hara (1-1) – Ran second last time out to Colonel Liam who came back yesterday for a strong effort in the Saratoga Derby Invitational, so is the likely winner here with class relief
2. #9 Duress (5-1) – Will be best suited to sit further back with the longer distance rather than go early, but will need to hope Oak Hill doesn’t get too comfortable up front
3. #8 Life on Top (15-1) – Needs to sit a bit closer to the leaders here, but has been closing decently in his stretch runs and against good company
Race 8 – OC 40000n2x
1. #4 Prairie Fire (6-1) – This four year old filly could get a good closing set up here with plenty in this field looking to take command early
2. #6 Bertranda (4-1) – Has been running consistently well this year, and comes off a win where she beat a few others here
3. #5 Letmetakethiscall (6-1) – Steps up in class, but has plenty of efforts at this distance that put her among the best of this group
Race 9 – Saratoga Oaks Invitational Stakes
1. #4 Stunning Sky (7-2) – Irad Ortiz stays on this filly instead of riding for Chad Brown, and can build off of a good performance last time plus may be a decent number on the board
2. #2 Enola Gay (2-1) – Her last effort was the most impressive win of this group, sitting near a solid pace and still coming home fast, a repeat likely puts her in the winner’s circle
3. #1 Speaktomeofsummer (3-1) – Rosario and Clement are still a deadly duo on the turf, and get an edge over Ricetta due to experience here
Race 10 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #7 Dangerous Edge (9-2) – Keeps Irad Ortiz and drops from an open allowance back into claiming company which should lead to improvement
2. #6 Ink Splotz (5-1) – Goes turf to dirt and should be aggressive here with Luis Saez, also getting some class relief and a distance he should like
3. #5 Scocciatore (12-1) – Had one of his best efforts first time out last year in his only try off the turf, so switching back and into claiming company gives this gelding upside at a price
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Full-card picks & analysis for today’s Laurel Park card!
Our Delaware Park Handicappers’ Notebook — featuring races and horses to watch, track bias info, jock/trainer of the week, and more – returns for 2021.