Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 16
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #6 La Hara (1-1) – Ran second last time out to Colonel Liam who came back yesterday for a strong effort in the Saratoga Derby Invitational, so is the likely winner here with class relief
2. #9 Duress (5-1) – Will be best suited to sit further back with the longer distance rather than go early, but will need to hope Oak Hill doesn’t get too comfortable up front
3. #8 Life on Top (15-1) – Needs to sit a bit closer to the leaders here, but has been closing decently in his stretch runs and against good company
Race 8 – OC 40000n2x
1. #4 Prairie Fire (6-1) – This four year old filly could get a good closing set up here with plenty in this field looking to take command early
2. #6 Bertranda (4-1) – Has been running consistently well this year, and comes off a win where she beat a few others here
3. #5 Letmetakethiscall (6-1) – Steps up in class, but has plenty of efforts at this distance that put her among the best of this group
Race 9 – Saratoga Oaks Invitational Stakes
1. #4 Stunning Sky (7-2) – Irad Ortiz stays on this filly instead of riding for Chad Brown, and can build off of a good performance last time plus may be a decent number on the board
2. #2 Enola Gay (2-1) – Her last effort was the most impressive win of this group, sitting near a solid pace and still coming home fast, a repeat likely puts her in the winner’s circle
3. #1 Speaktomeofsummer (3-1) – Rosario and Clement are still a deadly duo on the turf, and get an edge over Ricetta due to experience here
Race 10 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #7 Dangerous Edge (9-2) – Keeps Irad Ortiz and drops from an open allowance back into claiming company which should lead to improvement
2. #6 Ink Splotz (5-1) – Goes turf to dirt and should be aggressive here with Luis Saez, also getting some class relief and a distance he should like
3. #5 Scocciatore (12-1) – Had one of his best efforts first time out last year in his only try off the turf, so switching back and into claiming company gives this gelding upside at a price
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We’ve got Charles Town picks today as the track presents its Friday card!
We provide picks and analysis for today’s card at Parx Racing.