Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 12
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 6 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #6 Kinky Sox (5-1) – Has been doing her best running this year, and despite the step up in class, this mare can win with some of her efforts against this field
2. #7 Eloquent Speaker (4-5) – Should be able to run well against this group, but may be over-bet, although should improve with distance cutback
3. #5 Bustin Scones (6-1) – Has put in three solid efforts since the trainer switch, and will likely be overlooked here to finish in the money
Race 8 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #4 Lil Commissioner (5-2) – Should get a better price than this considering the step up in class, but has been winning and seems to be in top form
2. #7 Candy Tycoon (7-2) – Was beaten easily in the Peter Pan earlier this meet, but should see improvement out of that effort and is likely to finish in the money despite winning issues
3. #2 Forza Di Oro (9-2) – Very evenly matched field, but this colt is the most unproven and has more upside than others here dropping from a Grade II off a long layoff
Race 9 – Grade II Adirondack Stakes
1. #3 Lilac Lace (6-1) – If this filly takes well to the dirt, she may have the right closing running style to run by some of the favorites here but will need pace
2. #4 Thoughtfully (2-1) – Won by eight lengths last time and will win here if she avoids getting tied up with other speeds early
3. #5 Lucifers Lair (3-1) – Filly by Quality Road wasn’t quite as impressive in her first start at Thoughtfully, but having Irad and Pletcher helps, plus is the only one with a win over this track
Who’ll win the Preakness, Dinner Party, and the other graded stakes on the Saturday card? We asked our experts for their opinions.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s Preakness day card from Pimlico!