Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 12
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 6 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #6 Kinky Sox (5-1) – Has been doing her best running this year, and despite the step up in class, this mare can win with some of her efforts against this field
2. #7 Eloquent Speaker (4-5) – Should be able to run well against this group, but may be over-bet, although should improve with distance cutback
3. #5 Bustin Scones (6-1) – Has put in three solid efforts since the trainer switch, and will likely be overlooked here to finish in the money
Race 8 – Alw 74000n1x
1. #4 Lil Commissioner (5-2) – Should get a better price than this considering the step up in class, but has been winning and seems to be in top form
2. #7 Candy Tycoon (7-2) – Was beaten easily in the Peter Pan earlier this meet, but should see improvement out of that effort and is likely to finish in the money despite winning issues
3. #2 Forza Di Oro (9-2) – Very evenly matched field, but this colt is the most unproven and has more upside than others here dropping from a Grade II off a long layoff
Race 9 – Grade II Adirondack Stakes
1. #3 Lilac Lace (6-1) – If this filly takes well to the dirt, she may have the right closing running style to run by some of the favorites here but will need pace
2. #4 Thoughtfully (2-1) – Won by eight lengths last time and will win here if she avoids getting tied up with other speeds early
3. #5 Lucifers Lair (3-1) – Filly by Quality Road wasn’t quite as impressive in her first start at Thoughtfully, but having Irad and Pletcher helps, plus is the only one with a win over this track
John Piassek handicaps Sunday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Happy Maryland Million day! John Piassek has the 12-race card covered here.