Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: August 10
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for Monday, August 10. The card features eight races.
Race 6 — Allowance/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three-years-old and up will go six furlongs on the main track in a second-level allowance with an optional claiming tag of $35,000.
- Delaware lover #4 Angel At War (9-5) — five of her seven wins have come here — returns to her favorite track in this contest. The Mike Gorham trainee makes her first start since February in this contest and hasn’t finished better than third in 12 consecutive starts. But she has some awfully good efforts on her resume and has the tactical ability to run in different styles, depending on how the race develops. This is a pretty manageable group and a good spot to recapture her better form.
Race 7 — Allowance
- Fillies and mares three years-old and up will go 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf in a first-level allowance.
- What a good race this is (if it stays on the grass). If we can get anything like the morning line, we’ll have to give some consideration to #1 Midship Lady (8-1). The Phil Schoenthal trainee has been beaten less than two lengths in all three of her starts this year, all going 5 1/2 furlongs. What makes her more interesting, though, is her one two-turn try; in the Selima Stakes last September at Laurel Park, going 1 1/16 miles, she dueled for the lead and then stuck with it pretty willingly to finish fourth. The winner, Sharing, returned to win the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf and most recently was second in the Group 1 Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot. Safe to say ther’s no Sharing in this group, and this one might find this oddball distance very much to her liking. Abner Adorno is up.
- Another worth a gander is #5 Pure Rhythm (5-1), who exits a better than it looks try in the Christiana Stakes July 4. She finished seventh that day behind the pretty good Trickle In (who’s three-for-four) but was beaten just two lengths. She closed nicely but had too much to do late, which had not been the case the race before, when she broke her maiden by 11 at TAM.
- Race 6, $2 double: 4, 5 w/ 1, 5, 11 ($12.00)
- Good luck!
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s 8-race Pimlico card here.
In Spa selections, our on-site correspondent provides his Saratoga picks for key races on today’s Saratoga card!