Delaware Park picks and horses to watch: August 8
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for Saturday, August 8. The card features nine races, and the finale is for Arabians.
Race 7 — Claiming
- Three-year-olds and up that have never won two races will go about 1 mile 70 yards on the turf at the $16,000 claiming level.
- Well, here’s a puzzler: #2 Daddy’s Cozy (7-2) wins this race for fun if he can come back to his form last time he raced. But can he? The six-year-old Scat Daddy gelding has run eight times on the turf, with Beyer speed figs of between 78 and 87 in every one of them. No other runner here has ever reached a 78. But can he return to that form? He’s been away since May 2019, switched into the barn of Carl Doran, and is dropping from allowance company — where he was second last out behind Nakamura, who has since placed in two Grade 3 races — to the $16,000 level. He’s showing just three slow works since. We’ll keep him on the ticket in multi-race wagers but try to beat him on top in verticals.
Race 8 — Allowance/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three years-old and up will go 6 furlongs on the main track in a third-level allowance with an additional “haven’t won since March 15, 2020” condition and an optional claiming tag of $50,000.
- If she can find her way back to her 2018 form, #2 Dixie Serenade (8-1) can factor in here. The Ed Coletti trainee won three races that year, including a 47-1 upset in the Grade 3 Victory Ride at Belmont Park. But she was way up the track going two turns in the G1 Cotillion in September, then was off for about 15 months, and hasn’t been the same horse since. She’ll make her second start since the Covid-19 break here, and while her last, in the Dashing Beauty over the local strip, wasn’t much to write home about, she was facing the very tough Chalon, among others, in there. Give her one more chance to be on the ticket.
- Favored #4 Amy’s Challenge (6-5) likely has too many weapons for this group. The Artie Schiller mare is a multiple stakes winner of over $500,000, who nearly won the Grade 1 Madison in 2019, leading for a long way before settling for a tough luck second. She tired last out in the Madison, but finding easier company and cutting back to six furlongs may help her get back on track.
- Race 6, 50-cent Pick 3: 4, 6, 11, 13 w/ 2, 6, 10, 11 w/ 2, 4 ($16.00)
- Good luck!
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents a 10-race Tuesday card.
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.