Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 7
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #5 Giacosa (7-2) – Might need a little pace to close into here, but still ran well last time into slow fractions and should be a fair price
2. #1 Silky Blue (9-5) – Manny Franco jumped off of Giacosa to take this filly who won by a nose last time out and should continue to improve with an added furlong of distance
3. #7 Jen’s Battle (8-1) – Amos is more likely to close into the money, but this filly keeps Joel Rosario and might find her ideal distance here with a good stalking trip
Race 9 – Grade II Saratoga Special Stakes
1. #6 Cazadero (5-2) – Might not offer the best value, but comes out of a Grade III and won impressively last time sitting off a respectable early pace which might repeat itself here
2. #11 Roderick (6-1) – This colt by Into Mischief showed some of the best early speed of this group last time, and still drew away to win by over eight lengths at five furlongs
3. #9 Therideofalifetime (4-1) – Lost his first try against Jackie’s Warrior who breaks to his outside, but was closing in that effort, and may be best suited here reverting to a stalking style
Race 10 – MC 40000
1. #7 Morality Clause (15-1) – Can only win if she comes from mid pack rather than on the lead, but drops into maiden claiming company for the first time and should improve here
2. #1 Jasminesque (10-1) – Has run her best at short distances on the turf, but will need a bit more early pace than is likely here to have a chance at winning
3. #10 Microcap (7-2) – Can play Mudslide Wicked in hopes of a longshot wire to wire win, but this Klaravich and Brown entry has more upside first time out despite starting with this group
John Piassek shares his thoughts on today’s 8-race Pimlico card here.
Our Delaware Park Handicappers’ Notebook — featuring races and horses to watch, track bias info, jock/trainer of the week, and more – returns for 2021.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.