Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 6
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – OC 62500n2x
1. #4 Hungry Kitten (5-1) – Improved last time out after stretching out in distance, and should continue to improve with an extra furlong and keeping Jose Ortiz here
2. #6 Eliade (7-2) – Should also like the distance stretch, and this Brown trainee will be used to the softer turf surface having mostly run in France
3. #3 Dyna Passer (5-2) – Mighty Scarlett has had winning troubles, so take this filly who drops from a stakes race and has good back-class
Race 8 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #4 Turbo Drive (9-2) – Take Dream Bigger if the races comes off the turf, but this gelding broke his maiden on a good turf surface and has won over this track just twelve days ago
2. #1 Fresco (5-2) – Irad Ortiz takes this mount over Turbo Drive, and already won a New York stakes at this distance here earlier this meet
3. #6 Jolting Joe (9-5) – Has finished second in all four career starts, but has run against open company and runs well coming from off the pace or on the lead
Race 9 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #6 Catorat (5-1) – Broke his maiden last year at Saratoga on a good turf surface, and closed nicely last time against similar company
2. #5 Elusive Ruler (1-1) – Has run against open company and improved after switching to the turf, this gelding may still be a threat if this race is off the turf along with The Rock Says
3. #8 King’s Honor (15-1) – Drops out of an open allowance and won his only race at a claiming level, so should see massive improvement with this class drop
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
John Piassek handicaps Sunday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.