Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 6
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – OC 62500n2x
1. #4 Hungry Kitten (5-1) – Improved last time out after stretching out in distance, and should continue to improve with an extra furlong and keeping Jose Ortiz here
2. #6 Eliade (7-2) – Should also like the distance stretch, and this Brown trainee will be used to the softer turf surface having mostly run in France
3. #3 Dyna Passer (5-2) – Mighty Scarlett has had winning troubles, so take this filly who drops from a stakes race and has good back-class
Race 8 – New York Stallion Series Stakes
1. #4 Turbo Drive (9-2) – Take Dream Bigger if the races comes off the turf, but this gelding broke his maiden on a good turf surface and has won over this track just twelve days ago
2. #1 Fresco (5-2) – Irad Ortiz takes this mount over Turbo Drive, and already won a New York stakes at this distance here earlier this meet
3. #6 Jolting Joe (9-5) – Has finished second in all four career starts, but has run against open company and runs well coming from off the pace or on the lead
Race 9 – Clm 40000n2L
1. #6 Catorat (5-1) – Broke his maiden last year at Saratoga on a good turf surface, and closed nicely last time against similar company
2. #5 Elusive Ruler (1-1) – Has run against open company and improved after switching to the turf, this gelding may still be a threat if this race is off the turf along with The Rock Says
3. #8 King’s Honor (15-1) – Drops out of an open allowance and won his only race at a claiming level, so should see massive improvement with this class drop
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
John Piassek has today’s big Pimlico card covered here.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.