Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 2
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Clm 25000
1. #9 Square Shooter (4-1) – This grey gelding might still have some left in the tank and has some good back-class, plus should improve dropping into this group
2. #5 Shiraz (7-2) – May look to show some early speed, and cutting back to five and a half here could help this six year old gelding find the winner’s circle for the second time this year
3. #4 Banana Thief (5-1) – Should close into the mix here, and may get enough early pace to threaten the leaders in the stretch
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #8 Harris Bay (5-1) – Potential for plenty of pace here sets up for this three year old colt coming off a long layoff who can win closing from mid pack
2. #11 Fort Worth (8-5) – Probably not his ideal distance and comes off a year-long layoff, but ran his first race against Shancelot and broke his maiden easily in his next effort
3. #3 Riken (6-1) – The fastest of the front-runners, this gelding comes off of three straight wire to wire wins but will have to fend off other pace-setters here
Race 9 – Birdstone Stakes
1. #7 Highland Sky (8-1) – Won on an off track in the John’s Call Stakes here last year, and certainly should have no issues handling the added distance
2. #6 Moretti (8-5) – Wasn’t going to beat Tacitus last time out, but passed others in the stretch and has run well with Javier Castellano in the irons
3. #5 American Tattoo (8-1) – Has had some of his best efforts going long distances, but may be best suited if settled near the leaders early
Race 10 – MC 30000
1. #9 Height (9-2) – Improved after dropping into maiden claiming company last time, and may appreciate the added distance as this colt will likely try closing from the back of the pack
2. #8 Double Advantage (4-1) – Picked up some ground in his first start at six furlongs, so added distance could help this colt improve and be in the mix here
3. #1 Striking Speed (5-2) – May be able to control the pace early in this slow group, and has a good jockey trainer combo that has won at an impressive clip together at Saratoga
We’ve got an 8-race card today at Laurel Park!
In which we dig a little deeper into the four stakes on the card July 10 at Delaware Park, topped by the Grade 2 Delaware Handicap.
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.