Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks August 2
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 7 – Clm 25000
1. #9 Square Shooter (4-1) – This grey gelding might still have some left in the tank and has some good back-class, plus should improve dropping into this group
2. #5 Shiraz (7-2) – May look to show some early speed, and cutting back to five and a half here could help this six year old gelding find the winner’s circle for the second time this year
3. #4 Banana Thief (5-1) – Should close into the mix here, and may get enough early pace to threaten the leaders in the stretch
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #8 Harris Bay (5-1) – Potential for plenty of pace here sets up for this three year old colt coming off a long layoff who can win closing from mid pack
2. #11 Fort Worth (8-5) – Probably not his ideal distance and comes off a year-long layoff, but ran his first race against Shancelot and broke his maiden easily in his next effort
3. #3 Riken (6-1) – The fastest of the front-runners, this gelding comes off of three straight wire to wire wins but will have to fend off other pace-setters here
Race 9 – Birdstone Stakes
1. #7 Highland Sky (8-1) – Won on an off track in the John’s Call Stakes here last year, and certainly should have no issues handling the added distance
2. #6 Moretti (8-5) – Wasn’t going to beat Tacitus last time out, but passed others in the stretch and has run well with Javier Castellano in the irons
3. #5 American Tattoo (8-1) – Has had some of his best efforts going long distances, but may be best suited if settled near the leaders early
Race 10 – MC 30000
1. #9 Height (9-2) – Improved after dropping into maiden claiming company last time, and may appreciate the added distance as this colt will likely try closing from the back of the pack
2. #8 Double Advantage (4-1) – Picked up some ground in his first start at six furlongs, so added distance could help this colt improve and be in the mix here
3. #1 Striking Speed (5-2) – May be able to control the pace early in this slow group, and has a good jockey trainer combo that has won at an impressive clip together at Saratoga
Racing returns to Delaware Park May 24, and we return with Delaware Park picks and analysis for the track’s 86th racing season.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.
Full-card picks and analysis for this evening’s live racing card from Charles Town Races!