Spa selections 2020: Saratoga picks July 19
Ginger N Rye won the 2017 Smart N Fancy Stakes at Saratoga. Photo by Chelsea Durand/NYRA.
by Joseph Aiello
In Spa Selections, Saratoga on-site correspondent Joseph Aiello provides Saratoga picks for a handful of key races at Saratoga, including all of the exciting stakes action!
Race 8 – Alw 64000n1x
1. #5 Light in the Sky (9-5) – May need a bit of pace to run into, but a repeat of last race will put her in the winner’s circle here
2. #8 Officer Hutchy (8-1) – Good jockey trainer combo, and the surface change could allow for this filly to fly under the radar at a price
3. #4 My Sassy Sarah (8-5) – Saratoga Love has upside to go wire to wire, but with others looking to pressure, take this filly to at least finish in the money
Race 9 – Grade II Lake Placid Stakes
1. #2 Blame Debbie (8-1) – This other Motion trainee could be set up to take this field all the way around, and certainly can handle the distance after running a mile and a quarter last time
2. #3 Lashara (4-1) – Was closing in on Cat’s Pajamas last time, and with a bit more distance and good placement from Castellano, this filly can show another strong closing kick
3. #6 Stunning Sky (3-1) – Queens Embrace has been in top form this year and should be a decent price, but this filly is a bit classier and gets Irad Ortiz in the irons
Race 10 – Clm 16000
1. #9 Street Trust (10-1) – Joel Rosario seems to get the best out of this closer who will win here if he builds off of his last effort
2. #8 Mills (8-1) – Should certainly be in the mix as this ten year old gelding has put in some of his best efforts this year
3. #6 Grit and Glory (6-1) – Might scratch out having run just three days ago, but Linda Rice has been successful with quick turnarounds and others here are in bad form