Laurel Park picks and ponderings December 26, 2019
Anna’s Bandit. Photo by Laurie Asseo.
In which we pick the races from Laurel Park each day…
Post time: 12:25 p.m.
Carryovers: Rainbow Jackpot Pick 6 — $3,337; Super High 5 — None; Late Pick 5 — None
Notable: Happy Holidays!
- Cutback should aid the cause of #8 Devilish Affair (6-1), who emptied out in the lane last time but who two back ran well to be second behind Magical Luna, who’s crossed the wire first in three of four (DQed from one of those)… Favored #6 Quiet Imagination (9-5) rates a shot after back-to-back runner-up tries, one (arguably both) with excuses…
- Top choice #6 Always Talking (2-1) makes her third start after being away two months, enters off a win against similar, and projects as the speed of the speed…
- Favored #5 Shanghaischool (8-5) might be too good for these, and that last, behind previous Laurel allowance winner Dontmesawithme, was legit, but this one has more of a sprint pedigree, and the stretch-out from six furlongs to a mile makes us want to take a shot against… #6 The Quantico Kid (5-1) beat similar last out at this trip after a five-wide journey, all of which seems a good argument to use him in here…
- Getting back on a fast main track and finding an easier group should aid the cause of our top choice, #6 Celtic Treasure (6-1), who made a middle move into the lead last out versus better before tiring late…
- Top choice #8 Sweet Home Dixie (2-1) won at this starter allowance level last time out in a race that’s produced a next-out winner and runner-up from two to run back, and she’s been in the money in three of four at the trip… Favorite #4 Fiduciary Values (9-5) ran away and hid at preposterously low odds in allowance company last out in her first try in the Gonzalez barn, but it’s hard to see her getting as easy a front-running trip this time as she did then…
- Two-back #3 Case Dismissed (4-1) won at this nickel claiming level, and while her last, against better, was poor, cutting back to a sprint distance and dropping back to a level at which she’s run well before both should help, as could the addition of McCarthy in the irons…#2 Shecor (2-1) has some pretty OK efforts against better
- Favored #4 Tommy Shelby (8-5) won an allowance here two back and ran just fine last out when third in the Maryland Juvenile Futurity; since he broke his maiden for $25,000, he gets to run here without being eligible to be claimed, which makes this an ideal spot to pad the bank account with risking losing him…
- The formful #2 Lion Lord (9-5) makes his first start in the Robb barn at a 7-furlong trip he’s won at two previous times… We’ll give a crack to #6 Big City Blues (8-1), who makes his third start off a layoff and first in the Schoenthal barn; he’s won versus better than these…
- First-timers look to have the jump in this maiden event, with the Kelly Rubley-trained #5 One Last Trial (3-1) getting our nod here; the Tonalist filly has been training forwardly, and she’s out of a mare who won 10 times… #7 Bottle Courage (10-1) makes her debut; the daughter of Bourbon Courage is a half to stakes winner Scrap Copper and two other $100k earners…
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card, plus our stat of the day!
We’ve got Charles Town picks today as the track presents its Friday card!