Laurel Park picks and ponderings November 28, 2019
Anna’s Bandit. Photo by Laurie Asseo.
In which we pick the races from Laurel Park each day…
Post time: 11:25 a.m.
Carryovers: Rainbow Jackpot Pick 6 — $2,809; Super High 5 — None; Late Pick 5 — None
Notable: Happy Thanksgiving!
- Best bet of the day #4 Talented Dr. B (3-1) ran a big one last out, finishing best of all the horses involved in the early running, and the fourth-place finisher — who led early — returned to win next out… #2 All Class No Color (20-1) walked out of the gate last time and spotted the field a country mile but ran on nicely late to make up 17 lengths; look for an improved performance at a big price…
- Back-to-back defeats as the favorite? Not exactly the best resume to win here, but #1 Tiz a Sharpie (2-1) might sit the right trip off a couple of speedy sorts she ought to be able to reel in… #6 Arbutus (9-2) might have the best chance of the early runners to stay on and retains Jorge Ruiz in the irons… The late-running #3 Sexyama (6-5) drops off an acceptable effort but will need to make up a lot of ground late…
- Top choice #5 Leaveuwithasmile (3-1) drops into claiming company for the first time; trainer Englehart wins one-third of the time with this move with a positive ROI, and this one ran credibly after a bad start last time… Claudio Gonzalez claimed #6 Landing Zone (2-1) last out for $25,000 and moves her up the ladder with confidence here (9-for-31 with a positive ROI with this move)… Look for #1 Aspen Rose (8-1) to give an improved effort; her debut was just fine…
- Top choice #4 Call Me Jelly Roll (2-1) has six wins (four more than many rivals) and has won against similar four times already; last time out she rallied smartly after a tough start and should be able to run well here… #7 My T Talk (3-1) was a couple lengths behind our top choice two back, and note that she’s making her first start after being claimed by Gerry Brooks, who wheels her back in seven days… #6 Song of Indy (6-1) went to her knees at the start last time — a death knell for a runner who does her best work when involved from the get-go; nice to see rider McCarthy with the return mount…
- Morning line favorite #2 Coffee Please (6-5) looks best in here but got away with manageable fractions last out as the favorite and couldn’t seal the deal; do you want to take even shorter odds in this spot? #8 Hunt Me Down (4-1) was just even last time out but has some better efforts to run back to…
- Not a lot of speed in this wide-open nickel claimer; is #10 Hunca Rock (8-1) the main speed? He’s lost this race a few times but may benefit from post position, pace, and the seven-furlong trip… Good effort last out while wide on the course for late-running #5 Lucky Junior (4-1)… #6 Campari (5-2) drops off an OK effort against better and certainly figures here, but note that rider Jevian Toledo jumps ship…
- The late-running favorite #2 Bo Vuk (7-5) galloped at this level on the drop-down last time out and may be too much in here and needs to be on the ticket… But #12 Greely Is Back (12-1) should be in a more advantageous spot early in this one and, while his last against much better was poor, has some awfully competitive efforts on the page… The Damon Dilodovico-trained pair of #9 Spartiatis (5-2) and #7 Drive At Nite (6-1) both figure to contend here, though note that rider Karamanos picks the former over the latter…
- The obvious players in this starter/optional claimer all have questions: #1 Toma (9-5) has lost this race five times and makes her first start off a nearly-six-month break, and #7 Jumping Michelle (2-1) has lost at this level six straight; do you really want what figure to be very short odds on them? Let’s give a look to #6 Ten Oaks Miss (5-1); the Carlos Mancilla trainee hasn’t been in great form but has been facing much better, including three stakes outings in her last four starts…
- Good effort last out by #4 Start With Yes (3-1), who led late before settling for second; the cutback to six furlongs won’t hurt, and the top three to run back from that contest all have won… #1 Hello Amigo (9-5) has been on the improve and ran perhaps his best race on debut at this trip… The first-timer #2 Let’s Play Nine (5-1) has been working well enough for trainer Trombetta and is out of a productive Arch mare…
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We’ve got Parx Racing picks today as the track presents another midweek card!
John Piassek handicaps Sunday’s 8-race card at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.