Laurel Park picks and ponderings November 28, 2019
Anna’s Bandit. Photo by Laurie Asseo.
In which we pick the races from Laurel Park each day…
Post time: 11:25 a.m.
Carryovers: Rainbow Jackpot Pick 6 — $2,809; Super High 5 — None; Late Pick 5 — None
Notable: Happy Thanksgiving!
- Best bet of the day #4 Talented Dr. B (3-1) ran a big one last out, finishing best of all the horses involved in the early running, and the fourth-place finisher — who led early — returned to win next out… #2 All Class No Color (20-1) walked out of the gate last time and spotted the field a country mile but ran on nicely late to make up 17 lengths; look for an improved performance at a big price…
- Back-to-back defeats as the favorite? Not exactly the best resume to win here, but #1 Tiz a Sharpie (2-1) might sit the right trip off a couple of speedy sorts she ought to be able to reel in… #6 Arbutus (9-2) might have the best chance of the early runners to stay on and retains Jorge Ruiz in the irons… The late-running #3 Sexyama (6-5) drops off an acceptable effort but will need to make up a lot of ground late…
- Top choice #5 Leaveuwithasmile (3-1) drops into claiming company for the first time; trainer Englehart wins one-third of the time with this move with a positive ROI, and this one ran credibly after a bad start last time… Claudio Gonzalez claimed #6 Landing Zone (2-1) last out for $25,000 and moves her up the ladder with confidence here (9-for-31 with a positive ROI with this move)… Look for #1 Aspen Rose (8-1) to give an improved effort; her debut was just fine…
- Top choice #4 Call Me Jelly Roll (2-1) has six wins (four more than many rivals) and has won against similar four times already; last time out she rallied smartly after a tough start and should be able to run well here… #7 My T Talk (3-1) was a couple lengths behind our top choice two back, and note that she’s making her first start after being claimed by Gerry Brooks, who wheels her back in seven days… #6 Song of Indy (6-1) went to her knees at the start last time — a death knell for a runner who does her best work when involved from the get-go; nice to see rider McCarthy with the return mount…
- Morning line favorite #2 Coffee Please (6-5) looks best in here but got away with manageable fractions last out as the favorite and couldn’t seal the deal; do you want to take even shorter odds in this spot? #8 Hunt Me Down (4-1) was just even last time out but has some better efforts to run back to…
- Not a lot of speed in this wide-open nickel claimer; is #10 Hunca Rock (8-1) the main speed? He’s lost this race a few times but may benefit from post position, pace, and the seven-furlong trip… Good effort last out while wide on the course for late-running #5 Lucky Junior (4-1)… #6 Campari (5-2) drops off an OK effort against better and certainly figures here, but note that rider Jevian Toledo jumps ship…
- The late-running favorite #2 Bo Vuk (7-5) galloped at this level on the drop-down last time out and may be too much in here and needs to be on the ticket… But #12 Greely Is Back (12-1) should be in a more advantageous spot early in this one and, while his last against much better was poor, has some awfully competitive efforts on the page… The Damon Dilodovico-trained pair of #9 Spartiatis (5-2) and #7 Drive At Nite (6-1) both figure to contend here, though note that rider Karamanos picks the former over the latter…
- The obvious players in this starter/optional claimer all have questions: #1 Toma (9-5) has lost this race five times and makes her first start off a nearly-six-month break, and #7 Jumping Michelle (2-1) has lost at this level six straight; do you really want what figure to be very short odds on them? Let’s give a look to #6 Ten Oaks Miss (5-1); the Carlos Mancilla trainee hasn’t been in great form but has been facing much better, including three stakes outings in her last four starts…
- Good effort last out by #4 Start With Yes (3-1), who led late before settling for second; the cutback to six furlongs won’t hurt, and the top three to run back from that contest all have won… #1 Hello Amigo (9-5) has been on the improve and ran perhaps his best race on debut at this trip… The first-timer #2 Let’s Play Nine (5-1) has been working well enough for trainer Trombetta and is out of a productive Arch mare…
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
Which Laurel Park jockeys are off to hot starts? Asking for a friend; no, wait, actually asking for the betting public. Answers within…
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.