Delaware Park 2019 horses to watch: September 21
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
Delaware Park has an eight-race card lined up for Saturday, September 21. Some horses to watch:
Race 3 — Maiden special weight
- Maiden 2-year-olds will go six furlongs on the main track.
- Jason Servis doesn’t often ship to Delaware Park — just one start this year — so it’s interesting to see him ship two maidens for today’s racing. #2 Wandering West (2-1) certainly looks like a logical player in this contest. The Mineshaft colt was a $180,000 auction purchase for Gary and Mary West last September at Keeneland. His dam, the Ghostzapper mare Zip Up, was a winner, as is his only sibling to race, the Successful Appeal colt Successful Zip. That runner, in fact, won at second asking as a two-year-old and then ran second in the Sapling Stakes at Monmouth Park in his follow-up. He hasn’t quite lived up to that early promise since, but it was a good way to start a career and gives hope that little bro can follow in his footsteps. Servis wins with 22% of first-time starters and will leg up Carol Cedeno here.
- Selections: 2-6-4-1
Race 6 — Maiden special weight
- Maiden 2-year-old fillies will go six furlongs on the main track.
- In contrast to Wandering West, one of whose selling points was the early success of his lone sibling to race, Servis’ entrant in this contest, #6 East to West (3-1), has no such background; none of her four siblings to race won at two. The best of those four runners, the multiple stakes winner Aireofdistinction, didn’t reach the track until age three and then took seven tries to graduate. So a bit of a wait-and-see attidue may be in order on this one.
- On the other hand, the Ben Perkins-trained #3 Delancey’s Philly (2-1) could be sitting on a good one. She ran decently first time out, rallying after a slow start into third. While she was well-beaten by the winner, Campy Cash, she was just a length shy of second. And Campy Cash is headed into a minor stake this weekend at Monmouth in which she is a contender. If she moves forward off that effort, she should be tough in here.
- Selections: 3-4-2-6
Thanks to Stephanie Ruff and Arabian Finish Line for giving us insights to the Arabian racing at Delaware Park.
No Arabian race today.
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
We’ve got Charles Town picks and preview today as the track presents its Friday card!
We’ve got Delaware Park picks and horses to watch for this afternoon’s racing program.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s races at Laurel Park.