Delaware Park 2019 horses to watch: September 11
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
Delaware Park has an eight-race card lined up for Wednesday, September 11. Some horses to watch:
Race 4 — Maiden claiming
- Maiden two-year-olds will go six furlongs on the main track.
- You won’t get rich betting him, but #6 Band On Tour (9-5) certainly looks like a logical play in this contest. The son of Bandbox — the fourth-leading second-crop sire in the Mid-Atlantic with over $550,000 in progeny earnings (and 14 winners to date) — ran second on debut, giving willing chase to the winner, who went off at 4-5 odds. All three of his siblings to race are winners. He’s trained by Gary Capuano, who has an excellent record with horses making their second career starts (30% strike rate) and is showing a bullet work since his debut. Also of note: jockey Jevian Toledo is slated to ride what will be his only mount on the day.
- Selections: 6-4-1-3
Race 7 — Starter/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three years-old and up will go 1 mile on the turf in a starter allowance for horses that have started for $10,000 or less in 2018-2019 with an optional claiming tag of $16,000.
- Two races ago, #2 Tex Mee a Kiss (6-1) scored a 12-1 upset against first-level allowance rivals at Penn National, which is about as good a turf performance as any of her rivals have on their pages. She was pretty well thumped last out when facing second-level allowance foes last time out, but that was at odds over 100-1. The six-year-old mare won just one of her first two dozen-odd starts, but the George Albright trainee now has won three of her last seven and looks to be in a good spot to make it four of eight.
- Another runner with a recent win in allowance company is #5 Pride of Wilko (6-1). The Jay Bernardini trainee has won three straight in decisive fashion, last out scoring against allowance/optional claiming horses at MNR. She’s a speedy sort who figures to be involved from the opening jumps under jockey J. D. Acosta.
- Selections: 2-5-7-1
Thanks to Stephanie Ruff and Arabian Finish Line for giving us insights to the Arabian racing at Delaware Park.
No Arabian race today.
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
John Piassek handicaps Sunday’s 9-race card at Laurel Park!
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
Full-card picks and analysis for today’s stakes-packed card at Laurel Park!