Delaware Park 2019 horses to watch: August 29
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
Delaware Park has an eight-race card lined up for Thursday, August 29. Some horses to watch:
Race 3 — Maiden special weight
- Maiden fillies and mares three and up will go 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf.
- In her debut, #6 Champagne Diet (15-1) didn’t run a terrible race. She lingered along at the rear of the pack most of the way before running on a little bit in the lane, passing a couple of horses while making up four lengths on the winner to finish eighth, but beaten less than five lengths. It wasn’t a great effort, but it was a useful enough debut for the daughter of Declaration of War who’s a half-sister to graded stakes winner Hawkish. That was nearly six months ago, and this one has since switched into Tres Abbott’s barn at Fair Hill, where she’s been training well enough towards her return to action. Abbott wins at a 13 percent clip with horses away for more than 90 days, and he’ll add blinkers here. Carol Cedeno will ride.
- Selections: 3-6-1-5
Race 5 — Maiden special weight
- Two-year-old maiden fillies will go 5 1/2 furlongs on the main track.
- Five Star Momma was a pretty good racehorse. The daughter of Five Star Day won a couple of stakes races, placed in three graded events, and earned more than $425,000 in her career. Her daughter by Tiznow, #1 Fine One Won (4-1) will make her second career start in this spot. She was a well-beaten sixth on debut but should find this group a bit more manageable than the Churchill Downs maidens running for $95,000 that she faced last time out. She’ll make her first start in Jose Camejo’s barn, which is hitting at a 31% clip at the meet, and she’ll get blinkers on. Alex Cintron will ride.
- It’ll mark the first start for #7 Campy Cash (6-1), a daughter of Race Day trained by Keith Nations. She’s out of the winning Distorted Humor mare Cash Reserve, and all four of her siblings to race have won. That includes the stakes-placed Reckling (by Dialed In), who’s earned over $200,000 and won in her second start as a two-year-old after finishing second on debut. This one has had some speedy works for a trainer who wins 19% of the time with horses debuting in maiden special weight company. Angel Suarez is up.
- Selections: 7-1-4-5
Thanks to Stephanie Ruff and Arabian Finish Line for giving us insights to the Arabian racing at Delaware Park.
No Arabian race today.
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
Handy tool for your big race handicapping: our database lets you find any horse that’s raced in a North American Derby points race, plus results and videos.
The legendary Derby Bill Watson returns with picks for all of the stakes on the Florida Derby day card!
Full-card picks and analysis for the day’s Laurel Park card, plus our stat of the day!