Delaware Park 2019 horses to watch: August 12
Photo by HoofprintsInc.com.
Delaware Park has an eight-race card on tap for Monday, August 12. Some horses to watch:
Race 6 – Maiden special weight
- Maidens three-years-old and up will go 1 1/2 miles on the turf.
- The four-year-old Violence gelding #1 Rumors of Violence (8-5) has been second or third in three straight, most recently finishing a close-up third in a 1 1/4-mile turf maiden at Woodbine. The Michael Dickinson trainee — who was second going 1 1/16 miles two back over the strip — certainly can contend here and will have Alex Cintron in the irons.
- Trainer Richard Hendriks (5-for-13 at the meeting) originally had two entered in this spot, but only #9 Caldbeck (3-1) will face the starter after the scratch of Swansea Mile. Caldbeck is an interesting runner, though. Making his first start of ’19, he has two prior starts at the distance, both mid-pack finishes in Ireland. He also owns two wins over the jumps last fall, both with ease (and both with Lasix). Blinkers go on for his return to action today, and if there’s anything we know about him, he probably won’t be miffed by the distance.
- Selections: 9-1-5-3
Race 7 – Allowance/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three-years-old and up will go six furlongs on the main track in a second-level allowance with an optional claiming tag of $35,000.
- The speedy #1 Crescentcitypretty (4-1) ran a big one last out to dust a first-level allowance field by almost a half-dozen lengths. The Jose Camejo trainee has won three of six and never been worse than third, so she definitely cuts the right profile to win in this spot.
- A quick glance might suggest somewhat spotty form for #3 Proud Mandate (8-1), with a couple of poor outings sprinkled among some good ones. But a closer look seems to reveal that the horse wants to sprint on the dirt; her two poor outings came going a route of ground in the Light Hearted Stakes and sprinting on the turf last time out. Sprinting on the dirt — as she’ll be doing today — she has two wins and a second from three starts. Daniel Centeno will ride for Keith Nations.
- Selections: 1-3-2-4
Thanks to Stephanie Ruff and Arabian Finish Line for giving us insights to the Arabian racing at Delaware Park.
No Arabian race today.
LATEST IN HANDICAPPING
Who’ll win the Preakness, Dinner Party, and the other graded stakes on the Saturday card? We asked our experts for their opinions.
We provide picks and analysis for this evening’s card at Charles Town Races.
We provide full-card picks and analysis for this afternoon’s Preakness day card from Pimlico!