Midlantic stars in big spots on tap this weekend
Late Night Pow Wow romped to win the What A Summer Stakes at Laurel Park. Photo by Laurie Asseo.
A number of Midlantic stars of the equine variety are slated to come out this weekend in important races at tracks around the country.
Here’s what — and who — is on tap:
- Late Night Pow Wow, the West Virginia-bred filly who is top older Midlantic-bred, according to the latest Top Midlantic-bred Poll, is headed to Keeneland to compete in the $300,000, Grade 1 Madison. The seven-furlong fixture has attracted a field of nine, and Late Night Pow Wow is the 7-2 co-second choice. Luis Saez will ride for trainer Javier Contreras. Speaking of odds, the favorite in that race is…
- Shamrock Rose, the Pennsylvania-bred who is 5-2 on the morning line and earned Eclipse laurels as top filly or mare sprinter in 2018. She also was named Top Midlantic-bred of 2018. She’s winless in two tries this year but last year won four times, including in the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint. Irad Ortiz will ride for trainer Mark Casse.
- Also on the Keeneland Saturday card is Still Having Fun. The Maryland-bred, trained at Laurel Park by Tim Keefe, is 12-1 on the morning line in the seven-furlong, $250,000 Grade 3 Commonwealth Stakes. Florent Geroux will ride.
- Farther north, Call Paul is the 3-1 fourth choice in a five-horse field in the $250,000, Grade 3 Bay Shore at Aqueduct. Call Paul, the top Midlantic-bred three-year-old in the latest Top Midlantic-bred Poll, won his only start of 2019 thus far, taking the Grade 3 Swale at Gulfstream Park. Manny Franco will ride for Jason Servis.
- Also at the Big A, Hoffa’s Union, a flashy debut winner at Laurel for trainer Gary Capuano before he was sold and transferred to the barn of Mark Casse, is slated to make just the second start of his career — in the Grade 2, $750,000 Wood Memorial Stakes. A win here would give him sufficient points to make his next start in the Kentucky Derby. Hoffa’s Union is 6-1 on the morning line, and Dylan Davis will ride.