The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park (live racing Friday-Sunday through May 8th; Post Time 1:10pm), including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6 ($5,122 carryover), 50 cent Jackpot Pick-5 as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
NAME A RACE
Ever wanted a race named in your honor? Want to recognize a friend’s birthday, anniversary or achievement? But you can’t make it out to the track?
Now you can have that race named just the way you want it — FREE — right here at The Racing Biz!
Simply fill out the form below, and we’ll let the world know. Your race will be named here, as part of The GQ Approach handicapping selections!
Why handicap race number one, when you can handicap “Race 1 – The Bob’s Big Day Special”?!?
Note: This offer is NOT done in conjunction with the Maryland Jockey Club and does NOT provide you any benefits or recognition at Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course, or any other facility owned or operated by the MJC. It applies only to this website. Additionally, The Racing Biz LLC reserves the right to reject any request for any reason whatsoever.
BEST BET OF THE DAY
Race 4 / #1 – Alto Belle (3-1)
LONGSHOT PLAY OF THE DAY
Race 8 / #13 – Serenready (10-1)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Multi-race wagers[/su_heading]
- Race 1: $2 Double 6, 7 w/ 1, 4, 7 ($12)
- Race 3: $0.50 Pick-3 3, 12 w/ 1, 2 w/ 4, 7, 9 ($6)
- Race 7: $0.50 Pick-4 3, 8, 15 w/ 5, 13 w/ 1, 6 w/ 3, 8, 9 ($18)
- Race 9: $2 Double 1, 5, 6 w/ 3, 8, 9 ($18)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Analysis[/su_heading]
* Laurel Park has four (4) races (3rd, 5th, 7th and 8th) scheduled to be run on the TURF. Forecast for the northern D.C. suburbs is for Mostly Cloudy skies with high temps in the mid-40s and 60% chance of a snow/rain mix of precipitation. The below selections are based on an educated guess that the races will be being taken OFF THE TURF and the main dirt track will be SLOPPY.
- #6 – Pony Romo (7-2): Catches a field with plenty of early speed to run down late
- #7 – Heavenly Perfect (4-5): Both career victories have come in gate-to-wire fashion; will be pressed early
- #1 – Town Leader (5-1): Claimed from leading claiming trainer, which is usually a negative angle, but impressive win and closing style help in here
Race 2 – $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes
- #1 – Flash McCaul (9-2): Part of the Exacta in all seven starts (7: 2-5-0); running lines say the longer the race, the better his chances
- #7 – Never Gone South (3-1): Cross-entered in G3 Bay Shore @ Aqu; 2 for 2 on an off track; only one in here to earn a triple-digit Brisnet#
- #4 – Awesome Speed (2-1): Most recently 4th in G2 Fountain of Youth; beat the #7 sprinting here in Nov.; also cross-entered in G3 Bay Shore
Race 3 – IF OFF THE TURF
- #3 – Sultry Encounter (4-1): MTO – Away since MD Million Day, one race after runner-up debut; R. Jenkins is patient w/ his runners and must think this one is distance challenged
- #12 – Tricky Lion (7-2): Has been a cash cow earning $34k in 14 career starts as a maiden; off track should help
- #10 – De Rigueur (5-1): Third start since C. Gonzalez claim takes drop back to that level trying to graduate
Race 4 – $100,000 Weber City Miss Stakes
- #1 – Alto Belle (3-1): *Best Bet* NY shipper for Pletcher will welcome a sloppy or muddy track (2:1-1-0); with a clean break she takes this field from gate-to-wire
- #2 – In the Navy Now (2-1): Bred to go two-turns and finally gets it today; fast closing third in Ceasar’s Wish last outing
- #7 – Prognosis (12-1): … is a better horse than last race (6th by 20) effort says; just toss it; was second best to Cathryn Sophia in Dec.
Race 5 – IF OFF THE TURF
- #4 – Sazerac Girl (6-1): Only OTB finish in four career starts was lone turf try; 4-year-old v. 3-year-olds is an advantage this time of year
- #7 – Waves On the Sea (20-1): Showing my age when I recognize Dancing Count (damsire) as excellent off track runner; hopefully if/when taken off turf conditioner Nicholson knows that too
- #9 – Orzo (7-2): Rudy Rod’s only entry on the card may not ship if off the turf but that bullet work @ GP over “good” track indicates she should run
- #3 – Stone Crazy (4-1): Drops a level after wheeling back 8 days after claim; chances improve greatly on an off track (8:3-1-4)
- #6 – Joe Tess (5-2): Has the early speed to wire this field; only concern is why A. Rodriguez not riding? He’s riding for McMahon in 4th race
- #9 – Twelve Stone (6-1): Likes to run second much more than win but an off track gives him a boost (10:2-3-2)
Race 7 – IF OFF the TURF
- #3 – Vasten (6-1): Came off the bench and just missed when on turf; look for a winning effort if race comes off turf for a one-turn mile on main track
- #8 – Hurricane Creek (9-2): Three things you can count on… death, taxes and this old guy running on late to get a piece of the purse… potential Winner’s Circle photo today
- #15 – Wayne’s Way (15-1): Had a nightmare trip on turf in first race after a layoff; stretching out to a mile is the biggest question mark; has fast better
Race 8 – IF OFF the TURF
- 13 – Serenready (10-1): $Longshot Play$ Was thrown to the wolves in first start after O. Figgins claim when out of jail; drops back to level she can handle and gets protected
- #5 – Bioterp (6-1): Outrun when ignored at the windows (42-1) coming off the bench in first start since graduating v. $40k MCL; look for better effort today
- #1 – Not Tonight Berta (10-1): Maybe not even today but best two career races have come over an off track; tough spot to break from while void of early speed
- #1 – Clare’s Dowery (8-1): Been facing better than these as she comes off two decent efforts in local minor stakes
- #6 – Bear It (2-1): Logical choice as she boasts highest Brisnet Prime power# and has consistently challenged foes @ The Big A
- #5 – Dreamboat Annie (6-1): A NY-bred “…ship(per) of dreams…” for trainer Leah Gyarmati who seeks first Lrl victory of meet in 5th try
- #9 – Shoppingforsilver (9-5): Gets Lasix for first time in fourth lifetime start; comes to Lrl looking for an easier route to graduate
- #3 – Kindest Regards (12-1): Got buried in debut nearly 3 months ago; picks here for second start; folllowing McCarthy off the #5 (6-1) to replace Pimentel here for Trombetta; Hmmm
- #8 – Karaoke Queen (8-5): FTS by Flatter cost $400k @ OBS June sale as two-year-old; L. Rice/Karamanos teamed up for win in yesterday’s feature
- On Friday April 8th at Laurel Park had just 3 winners from the 9 race card (1 Top Selection; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-off of $4.40 (1st race), $9.20 (2nd), $22.20 (3rd), $x.x0 (7th), $x.x0 (8th) and $x.x0 (9th). Of the suggested Multi-race wagers hit the $2 DOUBLE in R1-R2 for $26.80 (cost: $18). Note: Year-to-date Top Selections are 79 for 325 (24.68%).
- BEST BET of the Day (36: 12-6-3) Love That (9th race: 4-1 M/L; 2-1 PT) stalked the pace, advanced in the two path on the far turn, bid for the lead in upper stretch and weakened the final furlong settling for the runner-up spot to return $4.20 to PLACE and $3.20 to SHOW.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (32: 2-2-8) Good Save (8th race: 8-1 M/L; 5-2 PT) stalked the pace three wide, moved to join the winner soon into the lane, dueled under right handed rousing, took a short advantage in mid stretch, remained in front to deep stretch could not resist the winner’s comeback miss by a head returning $4.00 to PLACE and $2.80 to SHOW.