The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park (live racing Friday-Sunday through May 8th; Post Time 1:10pm), including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6 ($3,642 carryover), 50 cent Jackpot Pick-5 as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
NAME A RACE
Ever wanted a race named in your honor? Want to recognize a friend’s birthday, anniversary or achievement? But you can’t make it out to the track?
Now you can have that race named just the way you want it — FREE — right here at The Racing Biz!
Simply fill out the form below, and we’ll let the world know. Your race will be named here, as part of The GQ Approach handicapping selections!
Why handicap race number one, when you can handicap “Race 1 – The Bob’s Big Day Special”?!?
Note: This offer is NOT done in conjunction with the Maryland Jockey Club and does NOT provide you any benefits or recognition at Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course, or any other facility owned or operated by the MJC. It applies only to this website. Additionally, The Racing Biz LLC reserves the right to reject any request for any reason whatsoever.
BEST BET OF THE DAY
RACE 3: #1 – Hill Shadow (5-2)
LONGSHOT PLAY OF THE DAY
RACE 4: #7 – Like a Million (8-1)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Multi-race wagers[/su_heading]
- Race 1: $2 Double 1 w/ 4, 5, 6 ($6)
- Race 3 – 50 cent Pick-3 1, 3 w/ 5, 7, 9 w/ 3, 4, 5 ($9)
- Race 6 – 50 cent Pick-4 6, 9, 11 w/ 3, 4 w/ 3, 4, 7 w/ 1, 2, 5 ($27)
- Race 8 – $2 Double 3, 4, 7 w/ 1, 2, 5 ($18)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Analysis[/su_heading]
* Laurel Park has four (4) races (4th, 6th, 7th and 9th) scheduled to be run on the TURF. Forecast for the northern D.C. suburbs is for Mostly Sunny skies but very windy with high temps in the low-50s and zero chance of precipitation. The below selections are based races being run ON FIRM TURF and a FAST main dirt track.
- #1 – Hideaway (7-5): Marked improvement when blinkers added and stepped up one level in most recent effort
- #3 – Crookit (15-1): Disastrous start of career but even barn didn’t expect much (48-1); adds Lasix and attracts McCarthy who is 3 of 9 for L. Alberts on drop to more reasonable level
- #2 – Salvation (7-2): At the very least this 6-year-old mare has shown enough early speed that today the cut back to 5½f might be the formula to graduate
- #5 – Grecian Star (9-5): In spite of only win coming on an off track, her Brisnet#’s indicate she should prevail late in a stretch drive that will appear to be in slow motion
- #6 – Dumpster Diva (6-1): Will benefit from a likely 3-way speed duel, so when they begin to backup, G. Delgado will have his best chance to get his 1st win of 2016 (0 for3)
- #4 – Best Friends (5-2): One of the likely speed duel victims, but may let other two duke it out; only win came w/ Carrasco in the irons, as he is today
- #1 – Hill Shadow (5-2): *Best Bet* Has gone up against two next out winners in both of his starts; Big House won convincingly here on Friday; only question is his lack of speed down on the rail
- #3 – Blu Moon Ace (7-2): Malibu Moon FTS was a late foal (May) but L. Murray does well w/ firsters (24%); nice evenly spaced works w/ consistent 4f times
- #7 – Chippewa Street (10-1): Made debut 18 months ago and obviously wasn’t ready; switched trainers, got gelded and shows decent work tab for second try at a first start
Race 4 is ON the TURF
- #7 – Like a Million (8-1): $Longshot Play$ Bred to like the turf and two turns; experienced Euro turf rider F. Lynch will get leg up from M. Shuman for first time; look for late rally
- #9 – Grace Is Ready (5-1): Besides the fact she made debut in a state-bred turf stakes v. boys (though 9th by 4¾), she’s by More Than Ready (my fav. turf sire) and gets top local tur rider (Karamanos); like works coming off winter vacation
- #5 – Rose Essence (7-2): Most experienced (turf) maiden in this field has been a major disappointment for connections who have quality runners; getting back on turf which seems kind to early speed might get diploma in 14th career start
- #5 – Doherty (5-2): Brutal record (2 for 23) but only second start for Salzman whose specialty is sprinters; calls on McCarthy to execute plan on cutback
- #3 – Excellent Royale (7-5): Beaten favorite makes first start off claim for H. McMahon; this guy should be more valuable running on the grass in the future, so why not now?
- #4 – Rocky Garland (12-1): Could get easy lead today; so w/ a clean break K. Francois could nurse this one from gate-to-wire to the Winners Circle
Race 6 is ON the TURF
- #9 – Compulsive (6-1): Gets first career start on grass and first after Magee claim; started career at Dmr on synthetic (5: 0-2-2) so the grass should be a welcomed change
- #11 – Peaceadaaction (9-2): Lone turf try came over 5 years ago @ GP in an allowance event; was OTB but got a decent speed fig; had traffic trouble in last effort when beaten favorite
- #6 – Trusted Choice (20-1): With plenty of speed signed on in here and that 1st race sprint after showing nice closing kick, return to turf might yield huge returns
Race 7 is ON the TURF
- #3 – Lake Sebago (4-1): Has recorded the best turf Brisnet# in this group at this distance… and did it in her only turf start; talented filly needs pace help as do other contenders
- #4 – Awake the Day (15-1): Been showing very quick early foot @ CT going 4½f on dirt; don’t see any others who will be near her at the quarter pole; could steal it at a huge price
- #7 – E Dubai’s Humor (8-1): Been away for two months; possibly waiting on turf races as lone try on Lrl lawn was game effort (losing by 2¾); Boyce might try to get more early speed out of her
- #3 – Line of Best Fit (4-1): Recorded a nice Brisnet# in beating #5 at 8-1; goes for natural Hat Trick
- #4 – Cursive (6-1): Away since mid-Oct.; this could be a fresher for a next out turf try OR could be ready to fire off the bench; can sprint (3:1-1-0)
- #7 – Secret Garden (5-2): Takes step up and wheels back in just 4 days but that has been a winning formula the past 5 months!
Race 9 is ON the TURF
- #5 – Bringonthethunder (6-1): Started career last Nov. on turf (7th by 5¼); bred to go long and that lone turf effort earned her the top Brisnet# among this group in here
- #1 – Bossypants Bianca (9-2): 4-year-old FTS by Lemon Drop Kid for G. Motion has extensive work tab at Fair Hill; bred top & bottom for grass; no Lasix
- #2 – Solid Silver (6-1): Maiden w/ seven starts, all dirt tries grass; has good breeding mix of turf (Cozzene) and stamina (A.P. Indy) to be a threat
- On Saturday April 2nd at Laurel Park had 6 winners from the 10 race card (4 Top Selections; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-off of $4.40 (2nd race), $8.80 (4th), $7.40 (5th), $7.40 (6th), $21.60 (8th) and $3.60 (9th). Note: Year-to-date Top Selections are 78 for 307 (25.40%).
- BEST BET of the Day (34: 12-5-2) Academic Affair (5th race: 5-1 M/L; 3-1 PT) no early speed and no interest late… was not a factor between horses in the stretch to finish 6th.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (30: 2-1-8) Retire Fifty Five (8th race: 12-1 M/L; 11-1 PT) settled off the pace while saving ground, steadied briefly near the far turn, angled out soon after, progressed five wide between runners into the lane, straightened away and closed mildly to get the Show purse to return $7.20 to SHOW.