The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park (live racing Friday-Sunday through May 8th; Post Time 1:10pm), including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6 ($5,563 carryover), 50 cent Jackpot Pick-5 ($4,619 carryover) as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
NAME A RACE
Ever wanted a race named in your honor? Want to recognize a friend’s birthday, anniversary or achievement? But you can’t make it out to the track?
Now you can have that race named just the way you want it — FREE — right here at The Racing Biz!
Simply fill out the form below, and we’ll let the world know. Your race will be named here, as part of The GQ Approach handicapping selections!
Why handicap race number one, when you can handicap “Race 1 – The Bob’s Big Day Special”?!?
Note: This offer is NOT done in conjunction with the Maryland Jockey Club and does NOT provide you any benefits or recognition at Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course, or any other facility owned or operated by the MJC. It applies only to this website. Additionally, The Racing Biz LLC reserves the right to reject any request for any reason whatsoever.
BEST BET OF THE DAY
RACE 6: #1 – Justlookatmenow (2-1)
LONGSHOT PLAY OF THE DAY
RACE 4: #3 – Lightnin Fast Girl (12-1)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Multi-race wagers[/su_heading]
- Race 1: $2 Double 2, 4, 5 w/ 3, 6, 7 ($18)
- Race 3: 50 cent Pick-3 8 w/ 3, 5, 6 w/ 1, 2, 8 ($9)
- Race 6: 50 cent Pick-4 1 w/ 3, 4, 5, 9 w/ 2, 6, 7 w/ 4, 8, 9 ($18)
- Race 8: $2 Double 2, 6, 7 w/ 4, 8, 9 ($18)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Analysis[/su_heading]
* Laurel Park turf course reopens today with two races (7th and 9th) slated for the grass which should be listed as “Firm.” As far as condition of the main track… the forecast for the northern D.C. suburbs is for Mostly Cloudy skies with temps in the mid-60s and a 20% chance of showers in the A.M. The below selections are based on the main track condition being listed as “Fast.”
- #2 – Sazerac Girl (5-1): Has been only one in here to flash early speed lately in sprints; like the drill drills during 6-week layoff to work out some kinks
- #5 – Stolen Secrets (3-1): Based on debut effort where runner-up came back to win, this gal is the one to beat but her debut was just over a year ago; plus was privately purchased and only shows 2 workouts since last Apr.
- #4 – Weatherurnot (5-1): J. Salzman, Jr. has done a good job taking over conditioning for the Estate of Gretchen Mobberley; can’t help but pull for these runners
- #6 – Pom Pom Pistol (7-5): One of many J. Ness runners returning to Lrl after spending winter @ Tam; fits at this level
- #3 – Miss Edmund (8-1): Been earning her keep @ CT but has given a good account of herself when entered locally (13:1-2-4)
- #7 – Start Swinging (6-1): There’s enough early speed in here that she will benefit from a pace meltdown; 3rd race after layoff [/su_box]
- #8 – J La Tache (3-5): Candidate for the Capt. Obvious Best Bet pick; could easily enter starting gate lower than that M/L as she has faced much better at GP this winter
- #3 – Thissongisaboutyou (6-1): No shame in being runner-up in debut behind Street Cruizer who came back to narrowly miss v. OC$50kN1X
- #4 – Shoppingforsilver (8-1): NY shipper for G. Weaver’s only entry on the card gets 1st time Lasix for fourth career start
- #3 – Lightnin Fast Girl (12-1): $Longshot Play$ Hasn’t had a clean or ground saving trip since J. Maldonado claim five races back; first time w/ Carrasco in irons should change that
- #6 – Galadriel Lady (8-5): Logical favorite on paper destroyed similar here two races back when fresh off a 8-month layoff but remains J. Bernardi’s only winner in 2016 (1 for 34)
- #5 – Chance Encounter (5-1): Blinkers off for this beaten favorite who could still steal this on the front end w/o much pressure early
- #1 – Mr. Game Seven (7-5): The Lynch Mob enters this west coast import via private purchase from Doug O’Neill group; shows two so-so works for new barn; leery why he’s in for a tag
- #8 – Legend’s Hope (8-1): Gelded since last start when showing no interest first time v. winners @ Prx
- #2 – King of Versailles (10-1): If the track isn’t kind to front runners, this one will be heard from in deep stretch
- #1 – Justlookatmenow (2-1): *Best Bet * M. Eppler proving this filly just isn’t a grass runner; comes off short layoff after being bridesmaid twice at this level
- #7 – Heavenly Perfect (9-5): Tough foe has been improving those speed figures but burning bettors money as beaten favorite in last two; lone win was on a sloppy track
- #2 – Crafty Regan (9-2): 2nd time blinkers angle here; has run behind two top choices recently, but not by much
Race 7 is ON the TURF
- #9 – Knacque (6-1): Has back class on turf and ran career best turf Brisnet# at this one mile distance, which is second best among this group
- #5 – Battle Axe (2-1): Has advantage over others as she’s been running on grass @ Tam; gets a nice setup and can pounce on leg-weary rivals late
- #4 – Sweets Galore (6-1): J. Pimentel/D. Velazquez combo are 2 for 2; this mare is winless on turf (6:0-2-1) but hit the board in both tries at this distance
- #2 – Banana Anna (10-1): Tons of early speed signed up for this 5½ furlong N1X; this H. McMahon trainee is the only runner willing to pass horses late
- #6 – Chica Fabulosa (5-1): Threw in a real clunker in latest outing v. similar; a threat if she reverts back to previous two races form
- #7 – Tough Weather (9-5): Beating $6250N1Y @ Pen usually doesn’t convert to M/L favorite status here in N1X, but she has the top Brisnet Prime Power#
Race 9 is ON the TURF
- #8 – Little Stella (5-1): Boasts best Brisnet# on the grass among this assembled group; ran twice on dirt @ Prx this winter w/ no success
- #4 – Then and Now (6-1): Seeks elusive maiden win in 13th try; drops after failing as 3-5 PT fav.; makes turf debut after two previous attempts were washed off grass when runs v. MSWs
- #9 – Airlie’s Diamond (6-1): Based on past turf experience, this sprint is right up her alley; ran career high 74 Brisnet# in most recent turf outing last Nov.
- On Sunday March 20th at Laurel Park had 5 winners from the 9 race card (3 Top Selections; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-off of $15.00 (2nd race), $3.20 (4th), $7.80 (5th), $4.20 (8th) and $3.60 (9th). Of the suggested Multi-race wagers hits the $2 DOUBLE in R8-R9 for $8.40 (cost: $6). Note: Year-to-date Top Selections are 72 for 269 (26.77%).
- BEST BET of the Day (30: 12-5-2) Legal Precedent (9th race: 5-2 M/L; 4-5 PT) bobbled leaving the starting gate, sped to the lead early, set the pace near the rail and was under urging in the drive to win by 2¾ lengths to return $3.60 to WIN, $2.60 to PLACE and $2.10 to SHOW. BEST BET ROI = $2.20
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (27: 1-1-6) Ghost Bay (7th race: 5-1 M/L; 7-2 PT) raced two wide on the turn and was never a factor while finishing 5th.