The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park (live racing Friday-Sunday through May 8th; Post Time 1:10pm), including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6 ($5,563 carryover), 50 cent Jackpot Pick-5 ($4,619 carryover) as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
NAME A RACE
Ever wanted a race named in your honor? Want to recognize a friend’s birthday, anniversary or achievement? But you can’t make it out to the track?
Now you can have that race named just the way you want it — FREE — right here at The Racing Biz!
Simply fill out the form below, and we’ll let the world know. Your race will be named here, as part of The GQ Approach handicapping selections!
Why handicap race number one, when you can handicap “Race 1 – The Bob’s Big Day Special”?!?
Note: This offer is NOT done in conjunction with the Maryland Jockey Club and does NOT provide you any benefits or recognition at Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course, or any other facility owned or operated by the MJC. It applies only to this website. Additionally, The Racing Biz LLC reserves the right to reject any request for any reason whatsoever.
BEST BET OF THE DAY
RACE 9: #9 – Legal Precedent (5-2)
LONGSHOT PLAY OF THE DAY
RACE 7: #3 – Ghost Bay (5-1)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Multi-race wagers[/su_heading]
- Race 1: $2 Double 2, 5, 6 w/ 2, 4, 6 ($18)
- Race 3: 50 cent Pick-3 2, 5, 8 w/ 3, 4, 5 w/ 3, 4, 8 ($13.50)
- Race 6: 50 cent Pick-4 2, 6 w/ 3, 4, 6 w/ 2, 3, 5 w/ 5, 9 ($18)
- Race 8: $2 Double 2, 3, 5 w/ 9 ($6)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Analysis[/su_heading]
* Laurel Park turf courses has not yet opened for the season. As far as condition of the main track… the forecast for the northern D.C. suburbs is for Mostly Cloudy skies with temps in the mid-40s and just a slight chance of rain. The below selections are based on the main track condition being listed as “Fast.”
- #5 – Daniel Did It (5-1): Looking for a little bit of that Magee “1st race after claim” magic (29%) as this gelding had multiple excuses for that last place finish
- #6 – Twelve Stone (7-2): Has top Brisnet Prime Power# in this group but speed figures have been on the decline; the positive is he won 3 races back at this level
- #2 – Hurler (4-1): Needs some pace help to be a threat late; not the greatest of rides @ Pen; T. Conner regains mount
- #2 – Andy Picked Me (2-1): Interesting that a runner who finished 3rd $5k N3L steps up two levels and is M/L favorite… guess that’s the power of C. Lynch, 23% 1st race after claim
- #4 – R Jolley Dreamer (5-1): Nice spot for a troubled runner who was waaaaay over his head on the dirt; dropping from $16k to $10k may not be enough but this is a weak field
- #6 – Cou Rouge (4-1): Exits WV state-bred N3L allowance event; should be helped in here by a quick early pace w/ chance to pounce late
- #8 – Breezed Bayou (5-2): Graduated in last race when dropped into $25k MCL; connections being realistic about short-term future placing gelding here
- #5 – Gottagetamoveon (7-2): Ran a game third at this level when first off the bench and sent off 6-1
- #2 – Amain (6-1): Was ambitiously placed after graduating v. $8k MCL; takes a step back and cuts back in distance second time v. winners
- #4– It’s the Truth (2-1): Better of two G. Motion runners in this MSW two-turn event; failed as PT favorite last outing to winner who came back to narrowly lose first time v. winners
- #5 – Go Go Dana (4-1): Appears to be lone speed so if she can dictate a slow pace, a gate-to-wire maiden score is highly likely
- #3 – Choir (20-1): Don’t be so quick to dismiss Motion’s other runner… after 3 mediocre tries at best on grass, gives dirt a try and looks to like it in the A.M.
- #3 – Better Way (7-2): Has been a solid runner (ITM 9 of 15 races) but w/ just one win; Gonzalez has done wonders “1st race after claim” (29%)
- #8 – Purnata (4-1): Interestingly she got maiden win in most recent effort in eighth try but first on a fast, dirt oval; Pen-based trainer Kulp & T. Conner win at 22% clip
- #4 – Time to Spare (3-1): After just 7 races finds herself in third different barn after T. Keefe claim; failed to get to Winners Circle in past three races as less than even money favorite in all 3; adds blinkers
- #2 – Cooking Up a Storm (9-2): Going for a four-bagger w/ the last two at this Starter Allowance condition as this G. Brooks trainee has taken a liking to Lrl (8:4-3-0)
- #6 – Five Cents (9-2): Has been runner-up to top pick the last two times they’ve faced off; no reason to think that will change today
- #8 – Worthy Lion (6-1): Popular 5-year-old in the Claim Box makes first start for J. Egan, cuts back in distance and gets jock upgrade to McCarthy
- #3 – Ghost Bay (5-1): $Longshot Play$ Away since last April when fourth in Federico Tesio stakes; has yet to regain two-year-old form… nice worktab since back in training mid-Jan.
- #4 – Warleigh (6-1): Thinking that two-turn race was served to get this Speightstown gelding back into breaking from gate quickly; recent bullet drill confirms that
- #6 – Max Crown (8-1): Did not belong in the $25k Starter Alw @ Prx based on PT odds (22-1); needs to repeat top Brisnet# earned two back
- #5 – Rare Medal (9-2): Away since Jan. 2nd when overmatched in Nellie Morse stakes; no other foe in here has the speed to go with her early which sets up for a gate-to-wire win
- #3 – Candida H. (5-2): Solid runner has been OTB just once in her 11 race career; daughter of Lemon Drop Kid should relish going two turns for the first time
- #2 – Lady Terp (7-2): Typically needs a pace meltdown scenario to be a factor in deep stretch; has shown ability to go early and w/ this field that may not be such a bad idea
- #9 – Legal Precedent (5-2): *Best Bet * A perfect 4 for 4 getting the PLACE money; every race has been a carbon copy of the previous one; first drop from $40k to $25k should help earn his diploma
- #5 – Oyster Soup (4-1): It’s still “in season” and had an excuse last time; add blinkers drops back to $25k MCL where he was runner-up two back
- #1 – Savage River (10-1): Claimed out of $12,500 MCL in second career race and entered here 9 days later; appears to have upside and could improve for new barn stretching out to 7f
- On Saturday March 19th at Laurel Park had 5 winners from the 9 race card (though none were Top Selections) having $2 WIN pay-off of $5.80 (1st race), $4.60 (2nd), $15.40 (5th), $9.20 (6th) and $4.00 (9th). Note: Year-to-date Top Selections are 67 for 260 (25.77%).
- BEST BET of the Day (29: 11-5-2) Stone Crazy (6th race: 9-2 M/L; 8-1 PT) lacked speed, saved ground on the turn, swung to the five path turning for home and rallied outside horses but came up 2 lengths short, completing the Trifecta and returned $4.20 to SHOW.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (26: 1-1-6) Gursky (8th race: 6-1 M/L; 9-2 PT) prompted the pace three deep around the turn, gained the lead in upper stretch and faded late inside the top pair but salvaged the Show purse to return $2.80 to SHOW.