The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park (live racing Friday-Sunday through May 8th; Post Time 1:10pm), including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6 ($3,485 carryover), 50 cent Jackpot Pick-5 ($30,341 carryover) as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
NAME A RACE
Ever wanted a race named in your honor? Want to recognize a friend’s birthday, anniversary or achievement? But you can’t make it out to the track?
Now you can have that race named just the way you want it — FREE — right here at The Racing Biz!
Simply fill out the form below, and we’ll let the world know. Your race will be named here, as part of The GQ Approach handicapping selections!
Why handicap race number one, when you can handicap “Race 1 – The Bob’s Big Day Special”?!?
Note: This offer is NOT done in conjunction with the Maryland Jockey Club and does NOT provide you any benefits or recognition at Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course, or any other facility owned or operated by the MJC. It applies only to this website. Additionally, The Racing Biz LLC reserves the right to reject any request for any reason whatsoever.
BEST BET OF THE DAY
RACE 2: #1 – Town Leader (9-5)
LONGSHOT PLAY OF THE DAY
RACE 3: #6 – Supah Czech (8-1)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Multi-race wagers[/su_heading]
- Race 1: $2 Double 1, 2, 8 w/ 1, 2 ($12)
- Race 3: 50 cent Pick-3 3, 4, 6 w/ 1, 3, 5 w/ 4, 6, 7 ($13.50)
- Race 5: $0.50 Pick-5 4, 7 w/ 1, 3 w/ 3, 4, 7 w/ 1, 4 w/ 2, 3, 5 ($36)
- Race 8: $2 Double 1, 4 w/ 2, 3, 5 ($12)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Analysis[/su_heading]
* Laurel Park turf courses has not yet opened for the season. As far as condition of the main track… the forecast for the northern D.C. suburbs is for Partly Sunny skies with temps in the mid-50s and a 20% chance of precipitation. The below selections are based on the main track condition being listed as “Fast.”
- #2 – Mrs. Brenner (5-2): Who? You know… old man Brenner’s wife! Back in for same maiden tag off claim 36 days ago when lost by a neck as PT favorite and 1st time blinkers
- #1 – Airlie’s Diamond (7-2): 0 for 10 and continues to drop to lowest maiden level in MD; has pattern of good race – bad race; time for a good one; sheds blinkers
- #8 – Glitterati (3-1): Absent from competition since mid-August at higher levels on the grass; recent works suggest she’s fit, but why the drop?
- #1 – Town Leader (9-5): *Best Bet* Broke maiden in 13th career try two back; nice Show effort first time v. winners @ Pen; runner-up was next out winner
- #2 – Dumpster Diva (4-1): Stretched out v. boys in last outing one race after rallying to complete the Trifecta at this level going today’s distance
- #5 – Came Up Rosie (7-5): Took nearly two months off; has faced better N2L at GP and the track formerly known as Calder; likes 6f best (5:1-1-2)
- #6 – Supah Czech (8-1): $Longshot Play$ Adventurous debut sprinting in mud but managed to finish 7¼ lengths behind winner who came back to be runner-up in OCL$50kN1x last weekend
- #3 – Aegis (2-1): Did not “deliver” (Harford County, MD residents get it) in debut @ The Big A in the mud; $250k yearling purchase by high-profile owner (R. LaPenta); expect better here
- #4 – Jump Jive an Wail (9-2): 2nd time blinkers… a favorite angle of a Vegas friend; showed big improvement when stretched out around two turns; away 60 days; no works past 20 days
[su_box title=”RACE 4 – THE CWEB SPRINT” style=”glass”]
In honor of… Chris Weber
- #5– Sir Orinoco(3-1): This 4-year-old is the only two time winner on a fast, dirt track; was in for a tag v. similar and now is protected; has been ITM in all 4 starts w/ McCarthy in the irons
- #1 – Adams Note (6-1): Needs an alert start because once he’s headed, it’s curtains; only has Daystrike (#3) to fend off early
- #3 – Daystrike (2-1): Brisnet#’s have skyrocketed since coming off short layoff; beat top pick in here for the runner-up spot in last outing going 1/16th further
- #4 – She’s On a Roll (6-1): Got the best of a few rivals she faced two races back while being steadied at the break; reunited w/ Toledo
- #7 – Jolity (7-2): Bred top and bottom to love the dirt turf but got maiden win on Pen in $25k MCL when given Lasix for first time
- #6 – Rise to the Top (9-5): Only two time winner in this field makes third start for Wayne Potts, a smart claim from Zayat Stable / Rudy Rodriguez for $15k
- #3 – Girls Got Rhythum (2-1): Very impressive debut v. $40k MCL earning a 86 Brisnet#; not an easy spot for second start, but a stalking trip gets early speed late
- #1/1A – Spun Copper/Up Hill Battle (x-1): #1 exits a so-so effort in Wide Country stakes as winner came back to be solid runner-up in Caesar’s Wish last weekend; #1A was a gutsy debut winner v. $25k MCL
- #8 – Daylight Ahead (6-1): Surprise debut winner at 7-1 @ Prx just 17 days ago w/ nice closing kick; gets the benefit of a potential pace meltdown here
- #4 – Flame of My Heart (2-1): Has faced a couple nice three-year-old fillies who square off in R6 (#3 & #6); drops back in for $40k MCL where she was runner-up in debut
- #3 – Sweethearted (6-1): Like the steady work pattern for this Lion Hearted FTS conditioned by G. Capuano who gets 9% to Winners Circles at first asking
- #7 – Do What I Say (7-2): Ran a winning race in debut but maybe jock made a premature move to get the lead entering the stretch? Like the 60+ day break to work out any kinks prior to second start
- #1 – Sweet Fortune (2-1): Appears change in tactics and switch from turf to dirt has agreed w/ this Trombetta trainee who has never been OTB at Lrl (3:2-0-1); will be pressed early today
- #4 – Lovable Lady (5-2): Wow! What a picture of consistency; ITM in all 8 career efforts and keeps getting better, but top pick may have her number
- #3 – Fat Kat (4-1): Prx shipper is 3 for 3 going this 5½f distance; will be heard from early and might get first jump on #1 which could set race up nicely for Lovable Lady (#4)
- #2 – Geraldine (4-1): One of my Dad’s and many handicappers favorite angle is when a runner was “Eased” in last race; this one has shown to have bounced back in the past but huge drop makes one wonder
- #5 – Seeyouinthetown (7-2): Another Ness runner returning from spending winter @ Tam; shows nice early speed but Tam dirt oval has held speed better than Lrl
- #3 – Duchess of Wicklow (10-1): Magee claimed this mare three races back but that was Aug. and was immediately put on the shelf until Dec.; has only beaten one foe in two races for barn but ya never know
- On Sunday March 13th at Laurel Park had just 3 winners from the 9 race card (2 Top Selections; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-off of $6.60 (3rd race), $7.80 (4th) and $3.20 (9th). Note: Year-to-date Top Selections are 65 for 242 (26.85%).
- BEST BET of the Day (27: 10-5-1) Silver Bouquet (4th race: 3-1 M/L; 5-2 PT) between rivals the first turn, angled to the three path for the backstretch run, gathered momentum leaving the far turn, angled five wide continuing progression into the stretch, closed under stout left handed rousing, overtook the eventual runner-up in deep stretch and held sway to win by a half-length and returned $7.80 to WIN, $3.40 to PLACE and $2.40 to SHOW.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (24: 1-1-5) Bret’s At Caddie (2nd race: 10-1 M/L; 11-1 PT) stalked the pace three wide, moved to challenge after a half, battled three deep to the three sixteenth but could not match strides through the final furlong to finish 3rd and pay $3.20 to SHOW.