The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park (live racing Friday-Monday through Feb. 15th; Post Time 12:25pm), including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6 ($1,806 carryover), 50 cent Jackpot Pick-5, as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles and Pick-3s.
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Multi-race wagers[/su_heading]
- Race 1: $2 Double 1, 2, 3 w/ 1, 2, 4 ($18)
- Race 3: $0.50 Pick-3 1, 7, 8 w/ 1, 2, 5 w/ 4, 6, 7 ($13.50)
- Race 6: $0.50 Pick-4 4, 5, 6 w/ 1, 3, 5 w/ 1, 8 w/ 1, 4 ($18)
- Race 8: $2 Double 1, 8 w/ 1, 4, 9 ($12)
[su_box title=”SPECIAL PLAYS” style=”glass”]
- Best Bet: Race 8 / #8 – Time to Spare (9-5)
- Longshot: Race 9 / #1 – Venetian Cat (8-1)
[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left”]Analysis[/su_heading]
* Laurel Park has closed the turf courses for the season. As far as condition of the main track… the forecast for the northern D.C. suburbs is for Mostly Cloudy skies with temps in mid-30s and just a slight chance of precipitation. The below selections are based on the main track condition being listed as “Fast”.
- #1 – D T Goodie (6-1): This colt’s best races should come at two turns, which he tries for 1st time today in his 3rd career start
- #3 – Colmont Fire (2-1): Has improved Brisnet Speed Figure (BSF) in each start and holds top fig among this group; will challenge top pick for the early lead
- #2 – Snow Fighter (7-5): Huge improvement in 2nd start when 1st time Lasix here after dull debut @ Aqu
- #4 – Noreen (6-1): Prx shipper for P. Farro has ability to take this field gate to wire
- #2 – Slippery Slope (8-1): Drops from $10k N2L sprinting when his success on turf has come routing
- #1/1A – Vectran/Pefiolo (8-5): Intriguing entrymates via ownership as #1 makes 3rd drop since breaking maiden @ Prx & #1A just misses at this level on similar drop
- #1 – Kodiak Kody (5-1): Just 1 of 2 in here dropping in class, but only one from OPEN ($8k) Claimer; like that jock Felix will be back in irons
- #7 – Curlin’s Kid (7-2): 1st race after W. Potts claim off “Magic” Magee; no works since & waited 30 days to run back at same level
- #8 – Uncle Carm (9-2): Sheds Blinkers after two less than productive outings w/ them; 8-year-old has been game of late
- #2 – Chance Encounter (4-5): Missed by a head when 3-5 but had rough trip; then again, has failed the past 6 times she’s been odds on favorite
- #1/1A – Winter’s Child/Virginia Rose (10-1): Prefer #1 here as she is only runner in here who wants any part of the early lead; could shock w/ gate-to-wire “W”
- #5 – Onegreatstep (3-1): Prohibitive favorite (#2) has gotten the best of her in her past 3 of 4 races
- #4 – Delightful Erin (5-2): Idle in the afternoon since Thanksgiving takes big plunge in class for trainer M. Pino who gets to Winners Circle 24% of the time off similar layoff
- #7 – Aruban Truth (6-1): Much the 2nd best to lone speed winner in last effort; both career wins came at this distance
- #6 – Clem Gem (8-1): MD-bred is prime “Claim Bait” for $5k on drop from two OC15k-N races after claim for $10k; loves off track but it will be “fast” today (0 for 10)
- #6 – Welcome Fairbanks (5-2): Was in over his head in MD Juv. Futurity and ran like it; gets reunited w/ Carrasco and should duplicate effort from two back
- #5 – Royal Brute (8-1): Has gotten beat by half of this field in past few races but could turn the tables w/ gate-to-wire score if no one presses this colt early
- #4 – Fifth Avenue Flash (4-1): Add blinkers after failing as 6-5 PT favorite in latest outing at same level
- #5 – Our Carly (4-1): She’s just 1 of 2 not climbing class ladder today; ha tactical speed to draft in behind the plethora of early speed and pounce in deep stretch
- #3 – Mothernaturespell (6-1): Only other runner not going up in class; ran evenly here in east coast debut after claimed for $16k at Dmr
- #1 – Silver Bouquet (15-1): Yeah she’s cheap and making 1st start after claim for A. Eubanks but this field is filled with early speed setting it up for the only true Closer
- #8 – Time to Spare (9-5): *Best Bet* Runner-up in troubled trip 1st time v. winners when sent off 4-5 after her 13 length maiden score; owns top Brisnet Prime Power#
- #1 – Whipsnade (10-1): Shipped in from Kee to graduate locally in gate-to-wire fashion at same distance as today; can get a piece at a price
- #2 – Not Tonight Berta (8-1): Not embarrassed in last two when facing many of the same in here past two races; 6f was to short and one mile too long, 7f just right?
- #1 – Venetian Cat (8-1): $Longshot Play$ Makes 3rd start after claim for W. Potts; drops back to $5k after being ambitiously placed past two
- #4 – Andy’s Love (7-5): Runner-up when 9-1 1st time v. winners in 8th career outing; has improved his BSF in each of his 3 starts here
- #9 – Unbridled Ghost (6-1): Distant 3rd in last to M/L favorite (#4) in here at a big price (38-1); 7f might test his distance limitations
- Saturday January 16th at Laurel Park had 7 winners from 9 races (3 Top Selections; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-off of $3.60 (1st race), $4.60 (2nd), $7.00 (3rd), $8.00 (4th), $10.00 (5th), $3.20 (6th) and $7.80 (9th). Of the suggested Multi-Race wagers hit $2 DOUBLE R1-R2 for $12.60 (cost: $12) and 50 cent Pick-3 R3-R5 for $31.50 (cost: $9).
- Track Bias: To date in 2016, just 18 runners (5 – 5½f; 4 – 6f; 3 – 7f; 2 – one mile; 3 – 1 1/16 miles; 1 – 1 1/8 miles) have gone gate-to-wire at Laurel Park from 90 races, while over the past two racing days 4 runners from 18 races have won in gate-to-wire fashion.
- BEST BET of the Day (10: 3-1-0) Karen’s Silk (4th race: 5-2 M/L; 3-1 PT) was patiently handled tracking the dueling leaders three wide, crept closer after a half mile, drew alongside LOST RAVEN and AYE A SONG approaching the eighth pole, moved to a short lead soon after, responded to solid left handed rousing and edged clear late to win by 1½ lengths to return $8.00 to WIN, $2.60 to PLACE and $2.10 to SHOW.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (8: 0-0-2) Any Court Inastorm (8th race: 12-1 M/L) was SCRATCHED.
RECAP of 2015: Year One of The GQ Approach
- Selections and Analysis were posted for all live racing days at Laurel Park and Pimlico with a few exceptions when cousin QG filled in. On average The GQ Approach provided Top Pick winners 22% of the time.
- BEST BET of the Day which by GQ’s standards had to be better than 8-5 Morning Line got to the Winners Circle 27% of the time, was part of the Exacta nearly half (49%) of the time and was good enough to hit the board 2 of every 3 times (67%).
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day which by default is the highest Morning Line odds GQ Top Pick on the card (typically double-digits) won at a 12% clip, was part of the Exacta 24% of the time and was in the money 42% of the time.