Delaware Park horses to watch: June 6, 2018
by Frank Vespe
Delaware Park has a good 10-race Wednesday card, and post time is 1:15 p.m. The featured ninth race is the $50,000 Light Hearted Stakes for three-year-old fillies, and the tenth is an Arabian contest.
Race 5 – Maiden special weight
- Two-year-old fillies face off going 5 furlongs on the main track.
- Value may be tough to come by, as two firsters are lined at less than 2-1.
- #6 Hey Dilly (9-5) might be one to watch from a pedigree perspective. She’s by Candy Ride out of the Johannesburg mare Appenzell. Her half-brother Rise Up was a Grade 3 winner and millionaire. The bad news: trainer Kelly Rubley is just 2-for-50 with first-time starters.
- #5 Marine Layer (6-5) is the favorite in here. The Into Mischief filly is out of the unraced Unbridled’s Song mare Strike Upa Song and cost $130,000 at auction. She’s trained by Tom Proctor, who has a 10 percent strike rate with first-time starters.
- Owner trainer Dewayne Johnson has saddled just four starters this year, and two of those starts came from #4 Singinginstilettos (5-1). The Street Magician filly gave an improved accounting of herself last out in her second career start, rallying into second on a muddy strip against high-priced maiden claimers at Pimlico.
- Selections: 5-4-6
Race 8 – Allowance/optional claiming
- Fillies and mares three and up are scheduled to dash five furlongs on the turf. It’s a first-level allowance with an optional claiming tag of $16,000.
- It’s a full field and a wide-open one, as well, with a morning line favorite who is 7-2.
- #7 Summer Frock (7-2) is the favorite as she makes her 2018 bow for trainer Ollie Figgins, III. The Bop mare also will be dropping in company after finishing ’17 with a win versus $20,000 claimers before a seventh-place finish in second-level allowance company.
- #8 Finding Perfection (9-2) ran a good third versus similar last out on a sloppy main track at Pimlico; this’ll be her first try on the grass and just fifth start overall for the Mike Trombetta trainee.
- #6 Buff’s in Love (15-1) presents a profile somewhat similar to that of Finding Perfection; in fact, they saw each other last out, with this runner finishing two behind her rival after finishing “with interest.” That was her first start of ’18 and offers the possibility of progress; this will, likewise, be her first try on the grass.
- #5 Southern Peach (8-1) makes her second start of ’18 in here and her very best efforts on the turf probably would be good enough to get it done today. Go-to rider Jevian Toledo rides for Dale Capuano.
- Selections: 6-7-8-5
Arabian handicapping is provided by our friends at Arabian Finish Line.
The Arabian race today is an allowance/optional claiming race for fillies and mares going 5 1/2 furlongs. About half the field started last week, and about half are making their first start this year at Delaware Park. RB Kinkie Boots, a talented filly, should be tough. She has winning connections with owner Rosebrook Farm, trainer Jerenesto Torrez and jockey Keibar Coa. Mark Powell’s Miss Paradise and Quarter Moon Ranch’s Risky Red, second and third, respectively, in their last starts at Delaware, will look to improve off those outings. Royally Bred is a tremendously well-bred mare with the winning connections of Cre Run Enterprises and trainer Lynn Ashby. She’s poised for a big race.