The GQ Approach – Laurel March 18
The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park for the live winter racing meet, Post Time 12:30pm EST including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6, 50 cent Early and Late Pick-5s, as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
- Weather: Sunny, highs in the low-50s
- Scheduled turf races: NONE
- Projected track conditions… Main: FAST
1st race Post Time 1:10pm EST
- #4 Towson (2-1): Lake trainee ran second against similar two back, drops from fourth-place finish versus much better in last
- #5 Polarization (1-1): Ouch! Hard to devalue a horse more aggressively than trainer Chad Brown has this one, a $135,000 auction purchase who debuted for $40,000, plummets in second start
- #1 Janelle Dreams (10-1): Ran credibly two back versus similar, though finished well behind choice in here
- #2 – *** BEST BET *** Classic Wildcat (5-2): Closing sort has kept much better company and will be rolling late if a pace develops
- #4 – Final Forum (3-1): Speedy sort arrives off a win at CT two weeks back, loves this track (7-4-1-0)
- #1 – Goodbyeseeulater (2-1): In good form now, but winless at the trip makes short odds tough to take
- #3 – Northern Prancer (3-1): Improved effort last out against similar
- #6 – Esken Lady (8-1): Long time since this Jose Corrales trainee found the winner’s circle; gets 10-pound but Lyapustina in the irons
- #5 – Hashtag Selfie (1-1): Most lightly raced runner in the group and possesses top speed figs – but trainer Gonzalez has been ice cold the last couple of weeks, and what’s fun about even money?
- #1 – Star Eighty (8-5): Enters with back-to-back wins versus similar, ran second in only prior try at the trip; may be controlling speed
- #5 – Lady Terp (8-1): Looking for improved effort from a runner who’s defeated similar previously
- #8 – Miss Nosy (9-2): Has been second and third in recent tries versus similar; rider Gomez faced with making a snap decision out of the gate to avoid getting hung out in the parking lot after short run to first turn
- *** LONGSHOT PLAY *** #2 – Swingstage (15-1): Sophomore drops from two dull tries versus much better, added ground may help cause
- #5 – Young American (3-1): First off the claim for leading trainer Gonzalez, who legs up go-to rider Torres
- #4 – Campari (5-2): Katy Voss trainee looms a major player in just his fifth career start
- #6 – Misschief Maas (5-2): Bit of a bridesmaid, with five straight second- or third-place finishes versus similar, finds relatively soft version of this condition to take another swing
- #2 – Candycoated Dame (9-2): Credible effort in last versus similar – including choice in here – and added ground a positive
- #4 – No Picnic (6-1): Closer will need a pace to develop but could get that; dead-heated for the show with #2 in here last out and is another who’ll benefit from additional half-furlong on offer here
- #11 – Moonspell (8-1): Magee trainee drops to level where he’s competed before; added ground a positive and like to see leading jock Vargas remain aboard
- #9 – Lacrostix (5-1): Likely speed of the speed can work out a good trip from outer post, arrives at level where he should win
- #3 Bob’s My Uncle (15-1): Will be running late and has shown ability to compete with these, though winless skein at the trip a concern
- #3 – Ballivor (9-2): A bit of a windmill tilt last out in the G3 General George, but back where he fits, this one rates a big shot here; dominant winner of two straight allowances prior to last
- #1 – Laki (9-5): First start in 10 months for talented Dilodovico trainee, who won the ’17 edition of the Not for Love Stakes
- #6 – Wild Dreams (7-2): Two straight wins for this Hugh McMahon trainee, who keeps hot-riding bug boy Weston Hamilton (four wins yesterday) in the irons
- #10 – Punch Nephew (8-5): Gary Capuano trainee finds bottom level after credible effort versus better
- #4 – The Intern (15-1): First try against winners was a mess, but look for an improved effort here, probably from a forward position
- #6 – Crazy Wild Bill (8-1): Returns to distance at which he recorded only career victory
- On Saturday March 17th at Laurel had 9 winners from the 11-race card (3 Top Selections; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-offs of $14.00 (1st race), $28.40 (2nd), $24.60 (4th), $6.20 (5th), $10.00 (6th), $6.60 (7th), $7.40 (8th), $5.00 (9th) and $4.80 (11th). Top Selections are 89 for 293 (30.38%). In 2017, Top Selections went 340 for 1,197 (28.40%).
- BEST BET of the Day (31:9-8-3; in 2017 119: 39-25-19) Annapolis Class (2nd race: 3-1 M/L; 5-2 PT) disputed the pace three wide between rivals, poked a head in front past the three eighths, kept up the battle to upper stretch then faded to finish fourth.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (30:4-6-4; in 2017 107: 18-13-15) Ten Dollar Hammer (3rd race: 4-1 M/L; 7-2 PT) chased the pace, circled the turn four deep, flattened out to finish fourth.