The GQ Approach – Laurel January 28
The GQ Approach features full-card selections from Laurel Park for the live winter racing meet, Post Time 12:30pm EST including a daily Best Bet, Longshot Play, and multi-race wagers — including the 20 cent Rainbow Pick-6, 50 cent Early and Late Pick-5s, as well as Pick-4s and rolling Doubles, Pick-3s and the Super High-5.
- Weather: Cloudy with rain, highs in the low-50s
- Scheduled turf races: NONE
- Projected track conditions… Main: SLOPPY
1st race Post Time 12:30pm EST
- #2 – Porte Cochere (3-1): Liked her last time when she didn’t fire v. open $15k Claimers, sticking with her on a multi-class drop for trainer C. Gonzalez who is 26% with that angle
- #1/1A – Crystal Pier/Carolina Gold (7-2): Same owner, different trainers with two jocks listed… only mount on the card for both; #1 has never been OTB at this distance and at Lrl; #1A likes an off track (6: 2-2-0)
- #5 – Esken Lady (15-1): One of two in here for trainer J. Corrales, the other (#3) should be prominent early while stablemate comes off an unaspiring two turn affair but retains services of E. Trujillo
- #6 – Faire Mi (3-1): Had no business running in OC$25k in latest outing; returns to level where she’s been successful albeit at Pen and Del
- #4 – Tiz Madness (2-1): Been popular at the Claiming Box as she’s changed hands in 3 of her last 4 outings; beaten lukewarm favorite in latest drops to a more realistic level for Lrl debut
- #5 – Fleur de Force (7-2): A 6-time winner this 4-year-old will take advantage of this condition (4 y.o. v. older N3L) one last time (ends in January); steps up in first start off $5k claim but can still get it done
- #2 – Just Been Jammin (12-1): $$$ LONGSHOT $$$ Pure condition play here as this geldings last three have been against open claimers while all others in here been knocking heads in conditional $5k events; jock/trainer combo is 28% over the past year
- #6 – Apollo Landing (5-1): Goes for the natural Hat Trick after conquering CT bull-ring in 3 of last 4 outings; 2 for 4 lifetime over an off track
- #4 – Risky Guy (9-2): Have lost more money backing this 8-year-old over the past 6-months than Bitcoin investors of late; BRIS#s have been climbing but just one ITM finish in last three; added distance should help
- #6 – Mila Jane (5-2): *** BEST BET *** Romped by 7-lengths in the Lrl mud over the #2 and #8 in here just 16 days ago; no reason to believe this filly cannot repeat that feat
- #8 – Shecor (6-1): Claimed out of latest when 10-lengths behind top pick as 7-5 favorite; change of scenery but same jock (F. Boyce) could help make amends
- #7 – Youarestillthewon (12-1): Hasn’t run well against better since breaking maiden three back but trainer R. Vega (6:3-0-0 at Lrl meet) will give a leg up to H. Caballero (24% w/ trainer past year)
- #1 – Dukin’ With Dale (7-5): Worthy 7-5 ML favorite gets an added bonus… an off track (8:3-3-0); is 11 for 12 ITM at this distance; only concern is it seems the rail is once again not the place to be
- #2 – Malibu Sunset (2-1): Sent off as the Post Time favorite in last 7 starts but only got to the Winners’ Circle twice; the quickest of the speed in here but will be dogged throughout
- #6 – Troubled Waters (6-1): Likely beneficiary of a potential pace meltdown as 3 of his 5 rivals are “need the lead” types; 0 for 19 on a fast track but thankfully it will be “off” (11:2-2-2)
- #3 – Intrepid Forest (8-1): Claimed for a nickel in latest, a 4-length score for her fifth win in 13 starts; this 4-year-old gets to enjoy one last race in with older N3L so she better make the most of it because it will be tough sledding the remainder of her career
- #5 – Dixie Rose (5-1): Sub-par effort when 3rd while finally getting a clean trip, her first in her last four efforts; 7 lb. bug W. Hamilton who won two yesterday gets the call
- #7 – Miss Krivoruchka (5-2): Will be mixing it up early with top pick but could outlast that one due to having best last race BRIS# and getting S. Russell in the irons (21% for trainer H. McMahon)
- #4 – Southside Warrior (9-5): OTB at this level when 3-5 Post Time favorite in latest following fifth-place effort in restricted stakes; seeks first win at Lrl (4:0-2-0); now trying to figure out why he’s top pick?! Oh… BRIS Prime Power# towers over this field and was gelded after that Jan. 12th race?!
- #1/1A – Spirit Grabber/Prime Time Man (7-2): Same owner, different trainers but both are stepping up in class; #1 will carry the load based on PT odds but entrymate is first off K. Magee claim (23%) who is 25% when going sprint-to-route
- #5 – Apolodorodedamasco (20-1): Will be first time going two turns on main surface and should like it based on “plodding along” type running lines in sprints; though just 3:0-0-1 on off track, those were going 5½f while rallying late
- #1 – Irish Colonel (7-2): Even from the dreaded rail can make a sweeping move late; regular rider J. Bisono makes trip down from PA to ride; had rough trip in stakes debut when seventh at 28-1
- #7 – Showalter (6-1): Lightly raced 5-year-old has the potential to steal it on the front end as he did over two years ago in debut over a muddy Lrl strip; shouldn’t get much pressure early but has always been desperate carrying that speed 6 furlongs
- #5 – Even Thunder (10-1): Away since late June after a hit or miss 3-year-old season that saw him earn black type in the G3 Bay Shore; been working steadily since mid-Nov; if he’s well-meant today he’ll be nowhere near his 10-1 ML comes PT
- #6 – Union Blues (3-1): A K. Magee reclaim two back for $10k yet brought this gelding back for a nickel (actually offered for $4,500) and was clear runner-up as PT favorite; gets 3/16 more ground which should help but still available at the discounted rate
- #1 – Ogeechee (7-2): Beat top pick in latest but that was going 5½ furlongs; stamina is a question for this 4-year-old, 4-time winner eligible in this N3L condition; 1 for 1 on an off track
- #10 – Mischievous Dan (15-1): Another 4-year-old who has been to Winners’ Circle 3-times who comes on the scene late; rough start in latest after being beaten favorite two back, both at this level
- On Saturday January 27th at Laurel had 9 winners from the 10-race card (4 Top Selections; payoff in BOLD) having $2 WIN pay-offs of $15.40 (1st race), $5.20 (2nd), $23.00 (3rd), $3.20 (4th), $4.80 (5th), $6.40 (6th), $4.00 (7th), $7.00 (8th) and $20.80 (9th). Of the suggested multi-race wagers hit the R3-R5 50 cent Pick-3 paid $49.10 (cost: $13.50). Top Selections are 36 for 98 (36.73%). In 2017, Top Selections went 340 for 1,197 (28.40%).
- BEST BET of the Day (11:3-0-3; in 2017 119: 39-25-19) Baleroom Dancer (10th race: 9-2 M/L; 3-1 PT) cleared early inside, was joined after a furlong and dueled, kept up the fight to the head of the lane then faded to finish fifth.
- LONGSHOT PLAY of the Day (10:3-2-0; in 2017 107: 18-13-15) Mutaraabit (3rd race: 5-1 M/L; 1-1 PT) bobbled at the break, worked between horses in the stretch and passed tired ones to finish fourth.